Re: Further package removal recommendations

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:35:54PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 03:02:21PM +0200, Ivo Timmermans wrote:
> > Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Package: anon-proxy
> > > Testing: 00.01.40-6
> > > Unstable: 00.02.02-1
> > > Bugs: 203957, 206304
> > > Suggestion: remove-from-testing
> > > Analysis:
> > >  Two-month-old FTBFS bug; this package depends on libxerces21 in
> > >  testing, which will hold up icu, xerces, xerces20, xerces21,
> > >  libxml-xerces-perl, and xalan until it's ready to go.  These other
> > >  packages are otherwise all ready to go in, so let's kick anon-proxy out
> > >  for now.
> >
> > Would doing a NMU help, or would it just frustrate this issue?
>
> An NMU would be fine, I think.

I tried preparing an NMU and discovered bug #214185 (anon-proxy just
segfaults when you try to use it for anything). The program and its
packaging are both screwed up beyond belief: the maintainer has been
merrily editing away at an autoconf-generated configure file for a year
or so now, and getting it wrong too ... frankly, I think testing is
better off without this one.