Re: Attempted analysis of remaining release holdups...

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:45:23AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> * KDE 3 needs to get in.
>  -- qt-x11-free needs to be built on mips (timeout problem)

Actually a toolchain problem, I'm given to understand.

>  -- buildd's need new gcc in place for kdemultimedia
>  -- arts needs libtool update for arm
>  -- Chris Cheney & others need to upload rest of kde 3.1.4

This looks to be a several week process.

> * Mozilla 1.4 going in.
>  -- 2 RC bugs
>  -- still isn't building on ia64 and arm apparently
>  -- should probably sarge-ignore the 4 woody-only RC bugs after
>     the above are fixed
>  This needs more attention from porters than it's getting.  :-(

There are ia64 machines available that can be used for test-builds by
any DD who wants to work on this.  That's a lot nicer on our
infrastructure than repeatedly uploading packages that fail on one
of the more resource-happy architectures.

> * Other Gnome 2 issues -- I don't know about these; I don't use gnome.

One of the problems that concerns me most (as a user) is the gnucash
build-time test bug.  Someone needs to make a determination of whether
the test is wrong, or the code is wrong.  If the test is wrong, great --
that's an easy fix.  If the test accurately simulates scenarios that
could occur during normal usage, that's going to be painful, but still
needs to be done if gnucash is to be in decent shape for sarge.

> ----
> What would be really nice if it was done:

> * glibc which doesn't use stock kernel headers finished and uploaded.

If this isn't going to make the cut, we'll want to know pretty soon;
this is the correct way to fix the showstopper busybox brokenness on
ia64 and alpha, so if we're not going to get the correct fix in, we'll
have to agree on a kludge.

> * c102 transition finished, or all untransitioned packages removed: see
> http://people.debian.org/~willy/gcc-transition/
> Things are close, really close.  (I wish willy would upload an updated
> db2 which drops db2++ already.)

There are no longer any packages depending on libdb2++ in testing, so
all it takes is an upload.

> * Uninstallable binaries in testing fixed up (a list of reasons for each
> one wouldn't hurt in dealing with this....)
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/testing_probs.html

There's a mix of packages slated for removal, packages that were slated
for removal and now need to be updated instead, packages that will clear
up once the testing binaries are up-to-date on all archs, and Other.
It's probably too early to be worth trying to list all the reasons
individually, given how many of these are duplicates from other lists
currently being worked on.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer