debian-installer (was Re: Unofficial Sarge Release Issues (Updated for August))

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:49:37PM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> > - The debian-installer (d-i) is in what I would call almost a releasable
> >   state, but that's just my opinion. See debian-boot for information.
>
> Without it being on the CDs, it's far from a releaseable state...

Good point. I still don't have a complete understanding of what's involved
to do that which is probably why I think it's fairly easy [1] and don't
believe that would take too long.

There are bootable CD images available for download [2]. I have
successfully used them for an install. I don't know what's involved in
putting the bootable parts of the bootable CD images with the first CD of
the Debian packages (or even if that's been done). It seems that one can
use the d-i boot disk to start the install and then put in another CD to
continue the install.

Yes it looks like the bootable CD images for the d-i don't currently
support anything but i386, but there's at least some port progress [3].
If this is an issue, then it's worth noting that
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200207/msg01479.html
says: "If you don't have a functioning installer by release, then sure,
you'll release, but you won't be installable when you do." This means
that, like with Woody (afaict), Sarge may be released without a functional
installer for some of the "supported" architectures.

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian-boot@lists.debian.org
seems to have some interesting information... It seems some parts of d-i
aren't "going into testing" for no good reason? See
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?excuse=baseconfig-udeb for an example.
The problem is "no binaries on any arch". I'm guessing this is because
it's a udeb and not a deb.

[1] It seems aj might too. See:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2002/debian-cd-200210/msg00053.html
[2] http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/