Re: Why does gdbm break packages in Sarge?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 01:10:04PM +0000, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> > A patch is available, but since porting from OpenSSL to GNUTLS is a
> > substantial change, some more testing is called for yet.  Also,
> > getting OpenLDAP into testing will depend on getting a new (not yet
> > uploaded) libgnutls into testing, as the port turned up an ABI problem
> > with the current GNUTLS on 64-bit platforms.  We'll hopefully see
> > results in this area in two to three weeks (the new gnutls will be
> > released this coming week, AIUI).

> I assume that is gnutls 0.8.9 which was released yesterday
> ------------------
> Version 0.8.9 (29/06/2003)
> - Corrected a null pointer dereference in gnutls_certificate_get_ours().
>   Report and Patch by Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net>.
> - The gnutls_transport_ptr type was changed to a pointer type (void*).
>   (programs would need recompile, since the library version has changed)
> ------------------

That's the one.

> Afaict this will require a big recompilation effort or introduction of a
> libgnutls5 package in oldlibs, before anything can transfer to testing

Yes.  Another turn of the wheel...  Ivo has indicated to me that he will
be coordinating with maintainers of gnutls-using packages, to get the
rebuild done as quickly as possible.

> as the soname had to be changed from libgnutls.so.5 to libgnutls.so.7
> (why not 6?)

This change has been made on upstream's stable and unstable branches in
parallel, and I think 6 was already taken.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer