Re: Some observations regardig the progress towards Debian 3.1

+++ Martin-?ric Racine [03-11-20 13:36 +0200]:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Graham Wilson wrote:
> Why can't everything just be cross-compiled on a _really_ fast 64-bit host
> belonging to the Debian project?

Because it won't work. Only a relativly small (but admittedly increasing)
subset of packages will cross-compile properly. Loads and loads of stuff
will simply fail to build if cross-compiled. It could, in theory, all be
fixed but that an epic amount of tricky work - native building is just much
more reliable. We have that and shouldn't throw it away even if it is a bit
slow sometimes.

Wookey