Is upload to stable appropriate?

Hi,

I've received a bug report for non-free ncompress:

The bug deals with a data-corruption problem with the -b9 option.  If a
user compresses a file using -b9, the resulting file is corrupt, and
this isn't obvious until after the original file has been removed.

I believe that a fix for this problem would meet the requirements for
upload to stable ("The package fixes a critical bug which can lead into
data loss, data corruption...").  However, before I go ahead and upload,
I wanted to check whether you folks agreed.

I also have another question.  The version in stable is 4.2.4-9.1.  I
have since adopted the package, and the release for this fix will be
4.2.4-13.  All of my previous releases have incorporated either minor
bug fixes or minor packaging changes (the relevant changelog entries are
attached).  If you agree that I should upload, should I upload 4.2.4-13,
or should I make a Woody-specific version of the package including only
the two-line fix for #220820?

Thanks for the help,

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>
ncompress (4.2.4-13) unstable; urgency=low

  * Disallow maxbits less than 10, to avoid data corruption (closes: #220820).
  * Added note in debian/README.Debian about 9-bit corruption.

 -- Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>  Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:47:08 -0600

ncompress (4.2.4-12) unstable; urgency=low

  * Upstream source changed (ibiblio.org replaced sunsite.unc.edu).
    - Updated debian/watch to use correct URL
    - Updated debian/copyright to note new download location
    - Updated debian/copyright to clarify packaging history

 -- Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>  Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:40:56 -0500

ncompress (4.2.4-11) unstable; urgency=low

  * Changed debian/README.debian to document (lack of) large file support.
  * Changed section to 'optional' in debian/control to match overrides.

 -- Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>  Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:34:36 -0500

ncompress (4.2.4-10) unstable; urgency=low

  * New maintainer (closes: #182937).
  * Updated debian/copyright to reflect new maintainer.
  * Removed local variables from debian/changelog.
  * Updated debian/control file.
    - Reflect new maintainer.
    - Change standards version to 3.5.9.
    - Update debhelper depends to (>= 4.0.2).
    - Rewrite and clarify short and long descriptions.
    - Fix spelling error in long description (closes: #125169).
  * Updated comments in debian/README.debian.
  * Brought debian/rules up to "modern" standards.
  * Updated debian/copyright to clarify download location.
  * Added debian/watch file.
  * Added debian/compat file at compatibility level 4.
  * Changed prototype of main() in compress42.c, to quiet gcc.
  * Updated compress.1 manpage (closes: #99585).
    - Reference 'uncompress.real' rather than 'uncompress'.
    - No longer reference zcat at all.

 -- Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic@debian.org>  Mon,  7 Apr 2003 17:52:47 -0500