Re: jack 0.75 mini-freeze

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 08:57:28PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Don't be ridiculous.

> > > 2.6.0 will soon be released, and sarge already contains 2.6 kernel
> > > images that are affected by this bug.

> > That justifies an important bug, but not a grave bug (at least not so
> > obviously that you could say "don't be ridiculous" to someone who
> > suggests that it isn't).

> If Debian 3.1 should support kernel 2.6 this bug is clearly RC, it's
> usually not acceptable that an application doesn't work with a supported
> kernel (exceptions are packages that are specific for some kernel
> versions, but Wine is obviously not among them).

> I consider it ridiculous to say a bug isn't RC if it will for sure still
> hit people using 2.6.0 - you could decrease the severity today and
> increase the severity again once 2.6.0 is out, but this wouldn't help
> anyone.

On the contrary, it would help everyone interested in having an
up-to-date jack-audio-connection-kit in sarge.  If it becomes clear
later that full 2.6 support should be considered RC, the severity can
be raised again, assuming the bug still hasn't been fixed; but at this
point, the grave severity seems to be based on conjecture and
extrapolation, not on the real impact this bug has on users today.

(Not to mention the fact that there seems to be a trivial workaround in
the bug report.)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer