Re: debian-installer (was Re: Unofficial Sarge Release Issues (Updated for August))

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:22:22AM -0500, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> > > - The debian-installer (d-i) is in what I would call almost a releasable
> > >   state, but that's just my opinion. See debian-boot for information.
> >
> > Without it being on the CDs, it's far from a releaseable state...
>
> Good point. I still don't have a complete understanding of what's involved
> to do that which is probably why I think it's fairly easy [1] and don't
> believe that would take too long.
>
> There are bootable CD images available for download [2]. I have
> successfully used them for an install.

There's bootability only on i386 right now, AFAIR, and even that was
worthless when I last tried it two weeks ago -- the CD booted fine, and
had all the packages, but I couldn't tell the installer to actually use
the file:/cdrom URL for packages, it insisted on network (regardless of
which image I selected).

> If this is an issue, then it's worth noting that
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200207/msg01479.html
> says: "If you don't have a functioning installer by release, then sure,
> you'll release, but you won't be installable when you do." This means
> that, like with Woody (afaict), Sarge may be released without a functional
> installer for some of the "supported" architectures.

Yes but I'm sure nobody considers a regression from ~ 11 working install
procedures to ~ 0 :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.