Re: Assignments II (2003/04/03)

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 02:38:36PM -0400, James A. Morrison wrote:
>   So to start with, all three packages that I was given that haven't
> entered testing are non-free.  I've sent the maintainers the following
> email, poking them:
>
>   If you would like ${PACKAGE} ${VERSION} to make it into testing and
> eventually stable it needs to be built and uploaded manually on the
> following platforms: ${NEEDS_BUILDING}
>
>  ${PACKAGE} is non-free so it is not auto-built that is why it needs to
> be manually built.

>  Other than that, I've attached a patch that I think adds a non-free tag
> to the output for update_excuses, so these things are easier to spot.

First, kudos for the patch. It was horrible and wrong, but something
almost the same (that is instead beautiful and heavenly) has been patched
onto auric.

Second, getting a new version built on the appropriate architecture
isn't the only option here. The other option is to get rid of the out of
date builds from unstable, and the maintainers probably should be made
aware of the option. It can be exercised by having the maintainer file
(or reassign) a bug against ftp.debian.org asking for the particular
packages on the particular architectures to be removed and why. If
the maintainer's not responsive to prods, you (as release assistants)
can do the same thing; if you do, you probably want to make use of the
mia@qa.debian.org stuff so we can move forward on getting the package
actively maintained.

Your aim here is to get the package into testing, btw -- the job's not
done until that happens (or it's been removed from the archive entirely,
I suppose).

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''