Re: Woody, security and architectures

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 04:17:07PM +0000, Eduardo Pérez Ureta wrote:
> Could anybody explain me why you can't compile all architectures in one PC ?

Because, except for the simplest cases, cross-compilation is not
feasible. In a few corner cases it is actually impossible, but for the
majority of cases it is simply unfeasible.

For example, to compile a package with Build-Depends, you would have
to install versions of all of the depended-upon packages /for the
target architecture/.  This would require setting up separate /usr
trees for the other architectures.  Sometimes building requires
running particular special purpose programs (gtk-config springs to
mind); you'd need to have special versions of those available.

> Could be the reason you can not test the packages ?

That's another reason ;)

Jules