boot-floppies 2.3.5 ready for testing (i386 and powerpc so far)

Boot-floppies 2.3.5 has been released and qualifies for what I would
call "alpha" status, although I can't say for sure that we won't be
adding any features here and there as needed, so it's kinda a "squishy
alpha".

I have 2.3.5 builds for i386 and PowerPC (from Incoming) expanded for
tester convenience at

  http://people.debian.org/~aph/debian/dists/woody/main/

These should be in the archive shortly as soon as the archive manager
does that.

I would like to open the door wide for testing.  I apologize for the
state of the boot-floppies bug tracking area -- it's a mess.  We will
try to clean that up.  However, even so, please don't hesitate to file
bugs.

Alternatively, just take rough notes during installation and send
those to <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>.

You will be prompted for whether you wanna install stable, testing, or
unstable.  For i386, I suggest using testing; for powerpc, I suggest
unstable (for the new yaboot).  Of course, this situation will change
over time and is not controlled by the debian-boot group.

As experienced testers know, boot-floppies are prone to exposing
plenty of bugs in other packages, particularly now that we aren't even
responsible for base (debootstrap is).  Problems with base should be
filed against debootstrap; problems with kernels should be filed
against the kernel-image packages; problems with tasksel filed against
tasksel, same with base-config, yaboot, quik, etc.  The debian-boot
list only works on the boot-floppies.

Changelog for 2.3.5 attached below.

Thanks for helping get Woody released.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>

boot-floppies (2.3.5) unstable; urgency=medium

  * The "Be Kind to Porters" release, mostly work on the non-i386 ports
  * Marcin Owsiany:
    - making sure that i18n code is included, moving over to stuff moved from
      CVS to their own packages
  * Adam Di Carlo
    - the logic to build a modules tarball for given root disk was a
      little messed up on non-i386, partly due to some schizophrenia in
      either rootdisk.sh or make/root issue; worked around
    - for sparc building, we use a single sun4cmd root.bin, because it
      doesn't matter which kernel we use and using none is not an option;
      better handling of generic rootdisk for all arches; only SPARC right
      now bothers to share a rootdisk for the different subarches, but I'm
      pretty sure other subarches which don't have kernel modules in their
      root filesystems should also set the 'generic_rootdisk' var in
      'make/root'
    - remove the powerpc empty images-1.44 directory
    - other build fixes and cleanups
    - README (for developers): some updates
    - README (for users): rewrite the "Quick Install Instructions" part
    - debian/control: add dosfstools for powerpc, alpha, m68k;
      add linuxdoc-tools, snarf for powerpc (stuff in powerpc-specials);
      sync build-depends and depends
    - dynamically deal with READ-*.txt (internationalized top-level
      README); before, we weren't shipping the Galician one
  * Ethan Benson
    - todo: update status regarding PowerMac booting plans
    - bootprep.sh, milodisk.sh, nfsroot.sh, package-m68k.sh, release.sh,
      rescue.sh, tftpboot.sh: use /bin/bash as we should be
    - remove hfsutils and yaboot/ybin/mkofboot from the PowerPC root disk;
      these can be run from /target after base is installed, and frankly,
      we have no choice because we need the space
    - ybinwrapper added to root disk, sets up the environment for calling
      ybin from the new base system; add some symlinking into the target
      system as required by yaboot
    - Rewrite yaboot installation
    - vmlinu[xz] symlink fixage when /boot is a partition (run_yaboot/run_silo)
    - create /target/etc/kernel-img.conf when /boot is a partition so
      kernel-images will create symlinks that work with yaboot (run_yaboot)
    - More PowerMac partition checks/warning fixes, make sure they get
      displayed at the right times
    - Reworded PowerMac partition warning/info dialogs
    - Prevent non-ext2 /boot on PowerMac
    - Update Readme.yaboot
    - Update install-pmac.en.sgml with current info on NewWorlds
    - Remove obsolete instructions about manually running mkofboot on
      NewWorld macs from documentation/en/dbootstrap.sgml.  Instead tell
      user to run Make System Bootable and reference yaboot.conf man page.
    - Add execlog_to_string function written by Colin Walters which stores
      a program's stdout in a variable, and sends its stderr to syslog, it
      also returns the program's exit code.
    - Reorg run_plilo_quik(), use execlog_to_string to run ofpath, cleanup/rewrite.
  * Stephen R. Marenka
    - Various and sundry updates to yaboot and quik boot configuration
      and partition checking.
    - Removed dbootstrap/powermac.c cruft.
    - Added CHRP yaboot partition checking and boot configuration
    - Added blank /var/log/messages file to rootdisk prototype
      (fixes occassional file or directory not found error on tty3).
    - Changed default ext2 formatting to use 2.2.x features, except on ARM.
    - Added boot-command to quik OldWorld boot configuration.
    - Removed Configure Base references from English documentation.
  * Phil Blundell
    - fix handling of RiscPC keymaps
    - include ne2k-pci driver (and 8390, duh) on ARM systems
    - correct arm specifics in release.sh
    - use `Image' as kernel for netwinder
    - arm is using libc-2.2.3
    - netwinder kernel is too big for 1.44 rescue image; use 2.88
  * Henning Heinold
    - start the mipsel port
    - kernelversion for mips now 2.4.3
    - mips is using libc-2.2.3
  * David Whedon
    - Danish translation update from Claus Hindsgaul <claus_h@image.dk>
    - add the ability to generate a problem report on floppy or harddisk
    - fixes the spurious error message if dbootstrap tried to guess a
       directory before prompting the user, clean up choose_medium.c.
    - add vexeclog, stdarg version of execlog
    - remove more base.tgz cruft
    - 'Execute a Shell' talks about nano-tiny rather than ae
    - fix ugly hack in boxes.c
    - set default answer on extract_base questions properly
    - include debootstrap support for installing sid as well
    - remove time zone configuration (base-config should do that)
    - 'Configure Base System' step is now executed right after base
       is installed without asking.
  * Joey Hess
    - base-config 1.0 support
  * Richard Hirst and Christian Steigies
    - release.sh, rescue.sh: fix building on m68k
    - config: kernelversion for m68k: 2.2.19

 -- Adam Di Carlo <aph@debian.org>  Thu,  7 Jun 2001 22:59:49 -0400