[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Base System release critical bug status II



[Bcc'ed to -release and -qa]

Hello world,

Well, apparently the last time I tried sending this it didn't work, which
at least explains why there wasn't much response to it. So let's try again.

Before we can move on to the next phase, the following things need
to happen:

	* A new release of debian-policy with any and all accepted proposals
	  (now done thanks to Manoj -- version 3.5.6.0)

	* All the bugs listed below need to be fixed
	  (mostly done thanks to QA folks, I think -- there were 42 or
	   so listed in the first report, 26 or so in the lost second
	   report from the 17th, and only a handful left now)

	* Any of alpha, mips, mipsel, s390, sh or hurd-i386
	  that want to release need to upload a current version of
	  boot-floppies (3.0.8 at the time of writing), and post an
	  installation report to the debian-testing@lists.debian.org list.
	  (arm, i386, m68k, powerpc, sparc, hppa and ia64 have basically
	   satisfied this)

As far as timing's concerned, the deadline for all this stuff was a week
ago. 

Hrm, that sentence worked a lot better when I was writing it two
weeks ago.

So, since we don't have any time-travel utilities packaged yet, it's
probably a good time to slip the schedule a bit. So extending the deadlines
of those items which need it, that leaves:

	* Finalise debian-policy: done July 25th

	* Finalise target architectures:
		arm, i386, m68k, powerpc, sparc: done
		hppa, ia64: done July 19th

		alpha:	waiting on boot-floppies upload!
		mips:   install report done, waiting on b-f's upload
		mipsel: install report done, waiting on b-f's upload
		sh:     (not releasing)
		s390:   no install report or installation s/ware

		Extended Deadline: August 4th (was July 24th)

	* Obtain legal advice wrt crypto in main
		Extended Deadline: August 4th (was July 21st)

	* Fix base system bugs
		Extended Deadline: August 4th (was July 21st)

I'm going to move onto the next phase of the freeze as soon as possible,
which means waiting for the base bugs to be fixed, but not waiting for
lawyers or getting ports into shape. There's still some time left (since
there are still some open bugs), but not particularly much, hopefully.

The next phase of the freeze starts with debian-policy completely frozen
and no release critical bugs in the base system. Basically from now
on, there won't be any more new requirements about your packages until
release, so please read through policy 3.5.6.0 and see if there's anything
you should be changing in your packages to make them work together better.

At the end of the next phase of the freeze, we'll freeze the base system
(ie, no new uploads of base packages --- which means no new uploads of
*any* packages if you've got a multi-binary source package that builds
something in base), and have no RC bugs left in the standard system.

If the following RC bugs get fixed in the next week or so (which
we should be able to do), the next phase will start on August 14th,
and being overly optimistic we'll release in mid November. Of course,
we've already slipped the original optimistic schedule by four and a
half months, so take that with a grain of salt.

Currently open RC bugs against base packages are: (by source package)

APT Development Team <deity@lists.debian.org>
	apt 97364 open grave
		apt-cdrom needs support for woody CD's. Can be fixed by
		making apt-cdrom complain less, or worked removing the
		woody-secured tree from woody CD'db2 106082 open grave

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
	db2 106082 open grave
	db2 106663 open grave
		db2 not backwards compatible, breaks potato packages on
		partial upgrades

peloy@debian.org (Eloy A. Paris)
	dhcp 103813 open grave
		dhcp-client doesn't work with bootp servers on powerpc.
		Patch in the bug report.

Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org>
	gcc-2.96 103225 open serious
		Builds Arch: all packages that aren't installable except on
		ia64. Maintainer is working on a fix.

Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl>
	sysvinit 106802 open serious
		Doesn't autobuild bug: bad permissions on maintainer scripts.
		Should be an easy fix.

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>
	lilo 106816 open serious
		Unreproducible (?) bug wrt large bzImage kernels not working.

Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org>
	tasksel 103773 open grave
		tasksel tasks include some task- packages. Can be fixed after
		base freeze.

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
	glibc 100336 forwarded serious
		Signal handling breaks zsh on hppa. Needs to be fixed by
		hppa people; zsh will be removed from hppa if unfixed; will
		not delay freeze.

Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org>
	console-data 85128 open grave
	console-data 102500 open grave
		console-data support for Sparc is weak. Fix in incoming that
		should resolve #102500, and should allow installers to work
		around #85128; will not delay freeze.

Only the apt and db2 problems of those listed above seem likely to be
problematic.

Cheers,
aj

-- 
Anthony Towns <aj@humbug.org.au> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>
I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG signed mail preferred.

``_Any_ increase in interface difficulty, in exchange for a benefit you
  do not understand, cannot perceive, or don't care about, is too much.''
                      -- John S. Novak, III (The Humblest Man on the Net)

Attachment: pgptQKFA7C3av.pgp
Description: PGP signature


Reply to: