Status of mips and mipsel

Hi Anthony and others.

Status of mips and mipsel wrt. our woody release:

For both architectures no installation has been finished using our
boot-floppies.  However, we are only very close to that stage and it
is quite likely that a successful installation can be reported this
week already.

mips

  Henning Heinold has managed to get a mips machine boot the Debian
  installer through nfsroot on June 7th.  Our boot-floppies package is
  used, so the remaining installation will be similar to the one on
  other architectures.  This time dbootstrap complained about a
  missing root filesystem, which a patch from me should have fixed
  already.

mipsel

  Karsten Merker and me have managed to get a mipsel machine
  (decstation) boot the Debian installer through tftp by using a
  kernel image with an attached initrd which contains root.bin, thus
  the regular installer.  Since our boot-floppies package is used, the
  remaining installation will be similar to the one on other
  architectures.  He ran the installation until the "reboot the
  system"-step.

We hope that this is sufficient to accept mips and mipsel as potential
architectures for the woody release, even if the installation has not
yet finished successful.

Regards,

	Joey

--
In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain