Re: Stable Release plan

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:50:36PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 09:16:11AM +0200, Martin Schulze écrivait:
> > > Also - is there any chance that .iso images or pseudo image
> > > configurations could be ready _before_ the release is announced - eg
> > > tonight cdimage.debian.org still has no idea about 2.2r3 - shouldnt .isos
> > > be part of the release and the release be conditional upon them being done
> > Please get in touch with the debian-cd list, they should know about
> > cdimage.d.o
> No, no, the problem is with you.

Another -cd flamewar already? Wow. :)

Really, the problem is that we don't have an internal distribution
mechanism separate to the extern release mechanism. If we release 2.2r3
to the CD folks, it's released the world. We got around this at the
release of potato by everyone staying up at ridiculous hours and getting
lucky.

> You install packages in the archive and 4
> hours later you make the announcement. You need to let one day so that
> files propagate to mirrors, send a mail to debian-cd@lists.debian.org
> asking us to generate the new ISO with the newly installed files and let
> another day so that ISO images have a chance to propagate too. And only
> then you should do the announcement.

The annoucement needs to go out as soon as people notice apt-get trying
to upgrade their system so they know what's going on. (As an aside,
Joey's announcement was amazingly informative as far as that goes)

Cheers,
aj