Re: 2.2r3 preparation

#include <sorry_for_the_late_reply.h>
#include <i_was_just_far_too_busy.h>

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Anyone have any worthwhile opinions on how 2.2r3 and 2.4.0 should get
> along? There already seems to be an iptables package and adding a new
> devfsd package would have little chance of breaking any existing installs
> (assuming they don't install it). modutils is out of date, though. It
> might be worth considering making a modutils-2.4 package, which would
> work in most cases, and run little risk of breaking anyone's system.
>
> Of course, there's no way we're going to support 2.4.x in potato much
> better than we supported 2.2.x in slink, but including stuff for it
> on CDs in extra doesn't strike me as unreasonable. I'm prepared to be
> shouted down, of course.

The current apt-cdrom will pick up any Packages files on the CD, no matter
where they are. So it would be possible to put "incompatible" packages in
extras/ (or for-kernel-2.4.x/ or whereever), but then there shouldn't be a
Packages file there. That means it'll be quite a hassle to install these
things, so I guess it would be wiser to have the stuff available only online
and mention the correct sources.list line(s) in the CD's README.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer