stable boot-floppies maint (was Re: M68K boot floppies / CDs)

Michael Schmitz <schmitz@opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> writes:

> The users, on the other hand, often need CD images and mostly use stable.
> At this time, though, there just are not enough maintainers to properly
> support stable. And getting updates to the boot-floppies rejected because
> they are not security related neither helps the users nor improves my
> motivation to invest further work into an apparently futile effort that
> I'm not over likely to benefit from.

I don't know who said this.  I have been told by Richard Braakman that
fixes and feature changes of any sort which make instalation easier
and better can be allowed into stable system.

I believe it's critical to allow us to continue to improve
boot-floppies for a stable platform even after stable has been
released.  It's critical because if users don't have any easy time
completing the installation system, the Debian loses big time.

On a personal note, I'd like to confirm that when Michael was the
active m68k porter, it was very very easy and constructive working
with him.  I believe that m68k boot-floppies is especially frustrating
because it depends on image processing and 3rd-party (or sometimes,
Mac-based) utilities which are not part of Debian. So he gets extra
kudos for that.