Re: still-extant potato boot problems (kmod/runany modprobe loop)

> From: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>

> Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org> wrote:
> >> Earlier I reported a problem with installing potato (from scratch)
> >> and getting errors at boot time like:
> >>
> >>    kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
> >>
> >> and many occurrences of:
> >>
> >>    modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies files /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
>
> > If you are only seeing this on startup and it doesn't affect the rest of
> > ths instal then please ignore the message.

That's one thing I'm trying to figure out.

When I got those errors booting the installation disks, it didn't
seem to affect anything.

However, when I goes those errors from booting an upgraded system,
there were various other errors (starting with several "modprobe:
Can't load module" messages), so I can't tell if it affected
anything or not.

Do you think the "modprobe loop" and "Can't open ... modules.dep"
messages are benign>

Thanks,

Daniel
--