Re: point release versioning

"J.A. Bezemer" <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl> writes:

> And IMHO 2.2r0 sounds much better than 2.2_r0 - so I'd suggest having a
> DEBVERSION="2.2r0" for the official CDs that will be made in 1.5 weeks or so.

IIRC the right way of writing the full version was supposed to be:

  X.Y rZ

with a space before the r, to emphasise the point that the revision
number is largely irrelevant to users when it's so easy to use apt-get
to go from one revision to the next.

Obviously it's a bad idea to have spaces in filenames, hence the
underscore.  I tend agree with Anne about dropping the underscore, on
the basis that debian2.2r0 is a valid MSDOS style 8.3 name, whereas
debian2.2_r0 is not.

That said, I still think we should write it as X.Y rZ (or more often
write it without the revision, unless it actually matters) when it's
not part of a filename.

Of course this does break Joey's assumption that we can look for an
underscore to determine the version number when looking for the
dedication, so add-bin-doc will need to look for an ``r'' instead.

Cheers, Phil.