Re: smail

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 04:38:45PM -0600, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> Said bug is present on the ALPHA architecture only.  (Even there it is
> manifested only when running smail from inetd, which is not the
> recommended procedure - so I personally would classify it as "normal"
> rather than "grave".)

Someone should have done that before the removal, it's gone now.

> Anyway, since smail used to be the recommended MTA, the majority of
> the stable user base probably uses it.

In slink, Exim became the `Priority: important' MTA. So, only the stable
user base up until hamm had it installed by default on initial installations.

> If i386 smail isn't included when potato releases, literally millions of
> boxes will be rather forcibly transitioned to a new MTA.

No, they won't, they'll be left untouched. Or is there some kind of bug?

> In fact, if smail is purged all the mailing lists will be lost, which is a
> scary thought.

No automatic package operation can make another package to be purged, ever.