Re: [dark: READ!] CD images / Re: Formal objection: Changing how the testing of potato works would invalidate the whole test. So please don't change it.

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Richard Braakman wrote:

> On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 09:14:54AM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 May 2000, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > All boot-floppies are ready (except ARM, but that's an opaque thing :), and
> > > the CD images have been created. So, we can test potato installation and
> > > upgrade with those.
> >
> > As advertised on cdimage.debian.org, there are (still) _NO_ official CD images
> > of the first test cycle.
> >
> > The reason is that we are still WAITING for several things to happen. We are
> > not going to release officially broken CDs, because broken CDs can't be
> > evaluated.
>
> That's a bit of a Catch-22, because everyone else is WAITING for the CD images.
>
> > This is my current WaitingFor list:  (comments are welcome!)
>
> My first comment is that this is the first I've heard of this list.

This list exists as of last saturday for my private reference ;-)

> m68k:
> > - 2.2.13 floppies               install
>
> I did this just now.

Great!

> > - upgrade-alpha                 install   (see #63890)
> > - upgrade-i386                  install   (see #63890)
> > - upgrade-m68k                  install   (see #63890)
> > - upgrade-sparc                 install   (see #63890)
>
> As you have guessed, a signature from a Debian developer is necessary to
> get something into the archive.  The main exception is stuff the archive
> maintainers can review for themselves, such as documentation and small
> scripts.

Okay. Will a developer-signed "fake" .changes file with md5sum of the
upgrade-all.tar do? Does it have to be placed in Incoming (on ftp-master I
guess) or can you just fetch it from my website?
(And maybe you could also sign it yourself... ;-)

> > (Confirmed 05/13)
>
> What does this mean?

I've been doing some inquiries for CD-readiness (see -$ARCH list archives),
and this means that someone on that list confirmed that my WaitingFor entry
was correct.

> > - apt 0.3.19                    install
> ppc
> > - libc6                         re-upload & re-install
> sparc
> > - libc6-dev, 2.1.3-10.1         upload & install
>
> Installing these will invalidate the boot-floppies we already have.
> Please get in touch with the boot-floppies team if you think the
> current ones are not useful even for the first test cycle.

apt 0.3.19 is something that I don't really know of, but it is supposed to fix
very annoying deadlocks that occur only when installing/upgrading from CDs.
AFAIK there's nothing on the boot floppies that can be broken by a new apt.
But if you are not going to install this (Please tell me!) than I can arrange
for a README on the CDs that points out the problem and where a new apt is
available.

libc6/ppc is broken according to
  http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-release-0005/msg00024.html
  "This breaks dependencies on almost everything."
but I don't know (not Confirmed) if this has been fixed already.

libc6-dev/sparc is broken, according to Ben Collins in a private mail.
  "Actually right now I need to fix up
  libc6-dev, since it's broken. Once you see libc6-dev 2.1.3-10.1, it's fine
  :)"

> > arm ???
> > - floppies  ???
> > ARM will not release with 2.2 as there is no way to install it.
> > Maybe 2.2.1 if people are providing boot-stuff.
>
> Yes, they are rather late with their boot-floppies.   But I see
> 2.2.14 ones for ARM in Incoming now.  This is still a problem because
> it's a binary upload and the boot-floppies source is still at 2.2.13.
> There have been a lot of communication problems with the ARM porters;
> I hope they can work out this one.

Okay, this is good.

> > We will NOT be releasing official CD images before all this has been resolved.
> > (And yes, it's me who controls that, since I'm the webmaster of
> > cdimage.debian.org.)
>
> Perhaps we should find someone else to do that, since you're obviously on
> a power trip.  I don't see how you got that job without being a Debian
> developer in the first place.

I seem to be having a habit of doing things that no-one else does. This
regards the cdimage webpages, which Phil Hands was very happy handing over to
me because he just didn't (doesn't) have time for them. Same for upgrade
stuff. Same for communication with porters regarding CD-image readiness.

> > I'd finally like to see some action from ftpmaster/release manager (i.e.
> > dark). He's being _extremely_ communicative to us CD people :-(
>
> Why, thank you.  I should note that I am _not_ ftpmaster, however.  I
> am a member of a team of five archive maintainers, and currently a
> mostly inactive member because I'm busy being release manager.

I feel bad about having to do _your_ job. I'd love to have seen a message on
debian-cd@lists saying "everything is ready, you can make CDs now." Or just
something like my WaitingFor list posted once in a while to -release. And of
course taking care about the upgrading stuff, which I felt _forced_ to do
because no-one even _cared_.

Please don't be offended. I've got much experience that in the Open Source
world, you _can't_ bring people to action by just asking them. You've got to
do many things yourself. Which is precisely what I've been doing. Many times.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer