Up and running with a fully working X configuration?

 It sure would be nice if after a fresh install, I could be up and
 running with a fully functional X configuration, complete with Gnome
 and a decent window-manager.

 Not everything needed is installed, I've found, using the `simple'
 method and the task packages.

 Another problem is that once I get `gdm' installed, and log in, no
 window manager is started, even though `sawmill' is installed.  I go
 to the Gnome configuration tool, and click on window manager, and it
 lists `sawmill' there as the current one, but it's NOT running.  The
 only way I've found to make it work is to add a bogus window manager,
 try to switch to it, and when it fails, `sawmill' gets started.  I
 can then log off and back in, and it's running like it should be.