Re: M68K boot floppies / CDs

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 07:14:19PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> That's part one, but where I see another large problem is the latency
> between the time something gets known to need work, and the time the
> rebuilt package actually gets installed on the FTP site.
I never had any problems like that with "normal" packages. Usually my m68k
recompiles are installed one day afer I uploaded them. Must be a
boot-floppies specific...

> The end of it: everybody's frustrated, and less willing to put in the
> necessary effort than before. For my part, Debian has gotten way too
> complicated and slow to react almost to bother. I've spent more time on
> this discussion today than I could reasonably afford. But we need to find
> out what to improve next time, so please suggest something...
>
> You forgot David who's been instrumental in getting glibc 2.1 up to speed,
> and does the potato boot-floppies and the Mac kernel CVS. The TT in my
Oups, yes, I am very sorry. I am still amazed that glibc2.1 is working.
Ok, so we are five, and I was allready to say were are not enough... plus I
forgot James, Franky, ...
Honestly, some more people could not hurt. But on the debian-m68k list I have
seen nobody so far, who would be suitable or even showed interest.
One big problem (besides the lack of fast, networked machines) it the lack
of time, you say, you cant spend too much time, same for me, I got to write.
I dont know how Roman keeps up with the build daemon, but it is a lot of
work, from what Ive seen when I visited him. James is buried in other work,
Franky has a job, I dont know about David and Chris. What makes things
worse, is that our machines are so slow. You dont build a kernel quickly,
when it takes nearly an hour. Same goes for package building and testing.
No problem when things are handled by the buildd or sbuild, the machines can
work all night. But it is a problem, when somebody says, "rebuild this
package now, you have two hours". This wouldnt happen, if we read the relevant
lists, we would know well in advance, when to rebuild what. But I cant
afford to read debian-boot, debian-cd, just to find the casual message, that
we have to rebuild something urgent. And I think we dont deserve special
handling, that somebody on the list forwards the important messages to
m68k-build. If David is reading those lists, fine (I thought we had dropped
cd and boot stuff on Chris?), but I dont have the impression that anybody of
us has to enough time when special work is needed immediately. Nobody with a
job at motorola? Just kidding...

> office was used to test potato but I haven't even had much time for that
> lately. And I'm not going to waste another minute on slink boot-floppies
> anyway.
We do have slink floppies, werent that the ones I tested? Working fine,
except that executable permission on amiboot.

> What we should learn from this: a) there's going to be another year or so
> before the next release is due after potato, and b) we're going to need a
> networked, reasonably fast machine that remains running potato for that
> period. A buildd on that box should take care of most.
We have cookie monster, but AFAIK its neither networked very well, nor
reasonably fast... enough for the casual recompile, but it seems it is
currently not available (some goes for kullervo today...).
--
Christian