Re: Stable release management

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Vincent Renardias wrote:
> > kernel:
> > 	upgrade to 2.2.11 (many new/updated drivers, security fixes, no
> > 	known problem yet)
> > 	For europeans, we may want to include the next 2.2.12 release
> > 	since it will include a big ISDN update.
>
> I've put in 2.2.11 for now and have working floppies, using the stable
> boot-floppies branch from CVS.
>
> The problem with 2.2.12 is I hear it will also have raid updates that are
> not backwards compatable, require a new raidutils, etc. Probably not good
> for stable. But it will have a patch for the memory leak in 2.2.11 that must
> go in at least.

People using the boot-floppies will use them for a new system, so using
2.2.12 will probably not matter...

> > GNOME:
> > 	lastest 1.0.x version (version 0.3 simply doesn't work).
>
> Someone else will have to handle this, I think, I don't know anything about
> it and it's very complex.

We produced a GNOME update for slink a while ago ( = GNOME potato
recompiled for slink), and nobody complained yet, so we may want to use
them.
(deb ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/gnome-1.0/debian/ slink main)

> > Include all the fixes concerning Y2K fixes; since it's very unprobable
> > that potato will be released before Y2K, this 'slink-update-1' is our last
> > hope to get Y2K fixes on time.
>
> I looked at http://www.debian.org/y2k/ and all packages listed as OK there
> are already of the same or newer versions in stable already. util-linux is
> marked as "BAD?" with no explination, and perhaps we should try to get that
> fixed.

I'm the maintainer of util-linux and I'm not aware of this *blush*.
Ok, I'll recompile util-linux for slink then...

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:   http://www.openhardware.org        Executive Linux: -