Re: 2.2.11 boot floppies

In message <[🔎] 19990818230700.K10750@kitenet.net> you wrote:
>Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>> Geeze, I'm not quite sure what you're going for.  Are you lobbying to
>> have a 2.1rX which include 2.2 updates?

>Um yes. Did you miss my post to debian-devel?

Yes I did.  I can either read debian-devel, or get some real work done.
I choose to skip debian devel for now.

Can you please direct release-related info to debian-release?
Are you on that list?

>Everyone I've talked to it
>seems in favor of it and I have the support of the stable relese manager,
>Vincent Renardias.

Oh, excellent, Vincent was announced.  Cool.

>summary straight out of DWN. (And I'm not blowing my own horn here, someone
>else wrote it. :-)
>
>   Joey Hess proposed
>   (http://debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9908/msg00604.html) a
>   major update to slink (Debian 2.1). Under the proposal, major packages
>   that have been tested for 2-4 months will be incoporated into slink.
>   Hopefully, this experiment will help cut down on Debian's future release
>   cycles. Response so far as been largely positive, and work is underway.

Eh... Please try to coordinate a bit here, someone.  Has debian-cd been
bonked about this?  How about the porters?

Your idea w.r.t. stable update is good, although I think you should
move more conservatively.  I don't know that you've considered the
problems which this "mini-freeze" are going to create for all those folks
who should be discussing all this now on debian-release. :)

>> If so, I could get behind that, but I am a little sketical about it --
>> I would want to get some test data about how much better kernel 2.2
>> does for folks trying to install Debian.
>
>That's fine. I also posted to debian-testing. Anyway, the logical first step
>is clearly to make the disks.

Yup, which I much appreciate!