Re: Staged Freezes

On 13 Nov 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Brandon Mitchell <bmitch@surfree.com> writes:
>
> > Actually I should probably do a formal proposal of how it works,
> > implemented, etc so we are talking about the same thing.  I'll see if I
> > can work up some time.
>
> Isn't there already a package pool proposal out there?  Can we work
> off that?

I was going to see how detailed my previous one was, but it seems the
search engine is offline (glimpse can't load library 'libc.so.5', oops).
I'll wait until I can find it, but if you know of something more recent (I
know someone was talking about it), then feel free to pose the url.
[ hours tick by ]
Ok, found it quickly, took a while to catch-up:
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-project-9910/msg00052.html

It might be worth reproposing it after seeing all the debate and different
ideas.  But it's late now and I'm tired.  I kind of think the discussion
would have been better suited for this list, but to each his own.

Take a read over it and see if you want to keep the staging discussion
going. My current problem with the stages is the human interaction
required.  I believe a freeze now requires individual attention to each
package that tries go get through.  I tend to favor automation where
possible and decreasing the time of the freeze when possible for
scalability reasons.  However, if one is proposing to automate the
actions that occur during a freeze then none of what I just said is valid.

Thanks for forcing me to check the archives Adam.

Brandon

    Brandon Mitchell  *  http://public.surfree.com/bmitch
  bmitch@surfree.com  *  ICQ: 30631197