stable with 2.2.11 (was Re: Stable release management)

I suggest that someone establish a test area which is apt'able and has
room for all the slink released architectures.

If we're going to go so far as to update slink for the 2.2 kernel, we
need to update PCMCIA as well.  This is necessary because many many
1999 laptops will not work with the PCMCIA from slink currently (it
lacks working CardBus32 support).  I run the new PCMCIA utils (rebuilt
for slink) on a slink box at home and it works quite well, so there's
not critical interdependancies with APMd.  But that's with the 2.2
kernel -- not sure if it would work with 2.0 kernel -- probably!

The big unknown for a linux 2.2 and slink is other architectures.
Personally, I have my doubts that the linux 2.2 kernel is more robust
and stable than 2.0 for non-i386 architectures.  Anyhow, hopefully we
will allow the architecture team make their own determination whether
to include 2.2 or not.  Ideally, the slink update (call it
2.1-linux-2.2) would be agnostic about whether you're running 2.0 or
2.2, i.e., support both kernels.

Next week, I will take an empty disk partiton I have and install a
slink/sparc system there so I can help with the porting.  But someone
really needs to start asking around on the other porters, trying to
get those folks to join this list and give impressions about our
plans.