Re: pcmcia-cs updated for stable?

Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:

> This would interfere with our interpretation of stable.

In the case of pcmcia-cs etc, I agree.

> I would be in favour of adding the apropriate packages to a
> different ftp directory or link it on the www.debian.org/release
> page so people can fetch it.  Same applies for modified
> boot-floppies which Shaleh has asked for.

Yes.

OTOH, I do think, for instance, jadetex from proposed-updates should
be releaseed into stable since the one in stable is absolutely broken.

Therefore I would modify the criteria for stable (as yet, not
officially stated anywhere AFAIK):

  * security fixes

  * critical bugs, i.e., problems which are causing significant
    headaches to a significant number of users, and can be fixed
    pretty easily (best example here is that the current stable
    kernel-image-2.0.36 on i386, and hence the boot-floppies, don't
    support aic7xxx adapters)

  * no new packages

  * no new upstream versions (with possible exception if it's the only way
    to solve some of the above problems)