Re: Release management

Regarding shortening the release cycle, one way to shorten the time
to freeze would be to threaten to freeze early and often (so people get
new packages in and don't wait for the last minute).

Another technique is to publically set critical bug counts or other
objective metrics for freezing, i.e., "We shall freeze when the release
critical bug count goes below 50, and when we have a new alpha version
of the boot-floppies".  Of course, we wouldn't have to strictly follow
these guidelines, but it would throw developer's attention to the right
place.

I think we could give a more professional approach to the freeze itself
too.  The last two freezes (hamm and slink) did *not* occur when they
were supposed to, and no updates were sent out on what the delay was nor
how long it was expected to last.