Re: release-reminder.txt draft

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 02:29:08 -0500
David B Harris <david@eelf.ddts.net> wrote:
> Hey, here's a draft release-reminder email template, as discussed with
> aj on #debian-devel@irc.freenode.net
>
> No need to use it, but aj asked what sort of thing might be useful to
> encourage people to fix RC bugs, and I think this would do it for me.
> One mail per source package per maintainer (I'd send it to the
> Maintainer: as well as all the Uploaders:, just in case the Maintainer:
> is AWOL).

Here's another version, with some niggles fixed and such. Manoj
suggested a couple of changes as well, and they've been integrated.
This mail is sent as part of the Sarge release process. Please don't ignore
it. If for some reason you're unable to take action regarding the issues
outlined below, please inform @SOME-EMAIL-ADDY-HERE@.

One of the sources packages you maintain, @SOURCEPACKAGE@, has been found to
have one or more release-critical bugs. Specifically, the version of the
package that's in the Sarge repository has one or more release-critical bugs
filed against it.  These are outlined in the following paragraph (more text
follows the outline):

Package: @PACKAGE@ (debian/@ARCHIVE@)
Maintainer: @MAINTAINER@

Explanation for bug tags:

   P  pending
   +  patch
   H  help
   M  moreinfo
   R  unreproducible
   S  security
   U  upstream
   I  sarge-ignore

--- Start bug list
123456 [ +      ] @BUGDESC@
123456: Last activity @LASTDATE@

123457 [        ] @BUGDESC@
123457: Last activity @LASTDATE@
--- End bug list

In order to release this package with Sarge, action must be taken regarding
the above bugs. There are several options available:

    1. Fix the bug:
       After fixing the bug, upload the new package to Sid. No other action is
       required.

    2. Downgrade the bug:
       Only downgrade the bug to Important or lower if the bug isn't, in fact,
       release-critical. DO NOT downgrade a bug unless it's not
       release-critical.

    3. Tag the bug sarge-ignore:
       A bug tagged 'sarge-ignore' is ignored as far as Sarge release
       suitability is concerned. Bugs tagged 'sarge-ignore' will not be taken
       into account in the Sid->Sarge promotion scripts. Only the release
       management team should tag a bug 'sarge-ignore'. If you wish a bug to
       be tagged 'sarge-ignore', first read
       http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_release_policy.txt for an overview
       of what kinds of bugs are routinely tagged 'sarge-ignore'. Afterwards,
       contact debian-release@lists.debian.org . Be sure to include the bug
       number and the reasons why you feel the bug shouldn't be taken into
       account for the evaluation of release suitability.

If you are unable to take any of the above actions with respect to your bugs,
please contact @SOME-EMAIL-ADDRESS-HERE@. If no action is taken, the package
may be removed from Sarge.

In case you weren't aware, there are several web-based status reporting tools
available which can provide you, the maintainer, with an overview of your
packages. Briefly, these are:

    http://qa.debian.org/developer.php
    http://packages.qa.debian.org/
    http://lintian.debian.org/