Re: r-cran-rstan issue and r-cran-boost version [notifications@github.com: Re: [stan-dev/rstan] Does not build on 32 bit architectures any more (Issue #1032)]

On 3/8/23 12:48, Andreas Tille wrote:
upstream suspects that the issue to build r-cran-rstan might be connected to
the boost version that is used.

I've managed to get this building (along with passing autopkgtests) in an i386 chroot
with a patch. It probably should be able to build on other 32-bit archs too.

Changes pushed to salsa.

It took a bit of tussling with the Makevars file to get it right, because it
is impossible to tune some of the gcc/g++ based options that R passes, since it
is hard-coded in "/etc/R/Makeconf", which is a bit of a bummer.
(And no, I don't want to hear that this is how it is since time immemorial, every single
build system I've ever used has an option to tune compiler options, except this one)

@Andreas: Please do not upload the package, these changes might not be appropriate at freeze time.
And when you do the next upload, kindly do check if it builds without the 32-bit
patch (provided the situation with bh/boost settles down).

Thanks,
Nilesh