Re: Significant code duplication between src:r-cran-lbfgsb3c and src:lbfgsb

Hi Gard,

thanks a lot for contacting me.  I'm adding the debian-r mailing list
since all our packages are team maintained and I do not want to deal
with private packages.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 11:15:33AM +0200, Gard Spreemann wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I randomly noticed that your src:r-cran-lbfgsb3c and my src:lbfgsb share
> significant amounts of upstream code, namely the core lbfsgb.f as
> written by Nocedal et al.
>
> I see our respective patches have diverged quite a bit.

Currently the r-cran-lbfgsb3c package has no patches since I have not
seen any need for it.  My only motivation to package this was that it is
used in the test of r-cran-optimx since it seems a good idea to run the
full test suite to me.

> Do you think
> there's any hope for deduplication here? Could a wrapper conceivably be
> written that lets c-cran-lbfgsb3c use liblbfgsb0? A few years ago, the
> SciPy maintainers successfully dropped their lbfsgb.f copy in favor of
> linking with liblbfgsb0 (and in the process I adopted some of their
> patches into src:lbfgsb).

I absolutely agree that code duplication should be avoided.  There are
some bug reports against some r-cran-* packages to avoid this but I need
to admit that my workload of things with higher importance is really
high.  So if you (or a reader of this list) is not able to provide a
patch to avoid the code copy I'd prefer if you file a bug report to make
sure that this issue will not be forgotten in the future.