Re: r-cran-tmb: prints warning when rmatrix is upgraded

On 25 January 2021 at 10:21, Andreas Tille wrote:
| Hi Graham,
|
| On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:31:36AM +0200, Graham Inggs wrote:
| > Control: tags -1 + patch
| >
| > The attached patch upgrades the warning() to a stop().
| > This will cause r-cran-tmb's autopkgtests to fail whenever rmatrix is upgraded.
| > Then we will know it is time for a rebuild, or a new upload.
| >
| > Let me know if this seems a reasonable solution, and I'll do a team upload.
|
| Looks sensible.  As I mention before team uploads are always welcome.  So
| please go for it.
|
| Thanks a lot, Andreas.
|
| > --- a/R/zzz.R
| > +++ b/R/zzz.R
| > @@ -15,7 +15,7 @@
| >      }
| >      TMB.Matrix.version <- readLines(file)
| >      if(!identical(TMB.Matrix.version, cur.Matrix.version)) {
| > -        warning(
| > +        stop(
| >              "Package version inconsistency detected.\n",
| >              "TMB was built with Matrix version ",
| >              TMB.Matrix.version,

But upstream had that choice too and selected a warning not a stop. It
appears to be a non-fatal issue.

I would not make this stop and think it is a bad idea. (Plus I had explained
that by setting options("warn"=2) in the code calling this you can set this
if and when you want it rather than unconditionally.  That is IMHO a better
solution.)

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org