Re: Help needed for r-cran-rcppmlpack

On 17 January 2021 at 09:00, Andreas Tille wrote:
| the new version of r-cran-genieclust needs r-cran-rcppmlpack and thus I
| injected it into salsa[1].  As I documented in d/README.source I went
| with the MLPACK code copy since the Debian packaged version is way more
| ahead than this one.  Possibly we can avoid the trouble I'm talking below
| by simply using libmlpack-dev but I have not checked this.

You cannot. I am a little involved in this multi-year process of bringing
mlpack to R: we had RcppMLPACK based on mlpack 1.*, but subsequent mlpack
releases required Boost serialization via linking which made packaging for R
challenging / impossible.

Thanks to amazing work of one GSoC student (and mlpack contributor) R is now
a properly exported language (among a few other) with auto-generated
bindings.  And the CRAN source package is self-contained with all it needs
from mlpack. But the build is expensive as every mlpack algoriithm gets built
using these autogenerated binding so it simply takes a moment.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org