Re: Build-Depends for CRAN packages

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 09:12:00AM +0200, Johannes Ranke wrote:
> > So when I as a Debian developer upload to _Debian unstable_ we ensure it
> > builds with Debian unstable in order to migrate to testing in order to be
> > cast one day into a new stable release.
>
> I do not think that this build dependency is necessary for this.

It is definitely not necessary as all packages uploaded by other
developers than Dirk are proving nicely.  Adding those unnecessary build
requirements are also making backporting harder.  I've discussed this
previously with Dirk but was obviously not convincing enough.

BTW, when using dh-make-R / dh-update-R as I'd recommend no unneeded
versioned Build-Depends are added.