Re: R Packaging

Hi David,

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 07:14:26PM -0600, David Shaub wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I saw the video of your talk at Debconf about R packaging,

Nice. For the readers of this list here is the link[1]

> but I cannot remember the correct way to request for an R package to be packaged in Debian. Is there a request form or mailing list on the Debian site?

In Debian there is a formalism to ask for packages.  You
file a bug against the virtual package wnpp

    reportbug wnpp

and select RFP (Request For Packaging).  However, chances that this will
be picked up is usually not as high since not many people are really
watching the bug.  Thus I would recommend to send this kind of requests
here on the Debian R list debian-r@lists.debian.org.  I'd also like to
encourage every newcomer to give the tools shown in the video a try.
Its an easy way to become a member of the Debian team.  So why asking
somebody to do something for you if you can even do it yourself?

> The CRAN packages I am interested in are the following: "lintr", "rmarkdown", "xgboost", "ranger", "boruta", "forecast", and "prophet".

R-cran-rmarkdown, r-cran-ranger and r-cran-forecast are packaged.  The
others could be done (just hoping for either you as a volunteer to learn
or some volunteer here on the list).  Regarding prophet I had some
issues in the past[2].  It does not compile and I have no idea how to
fix it neither anybody else here contributed some solution.  I tried
about one year later with prophet 0.5 - no solution so far but I can try
again in a couple of days.

Kind regards and thanks for the interest in R packaging for Debian

    Andreas.

[1] https://caesar.ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/debian-meetings/2019/DebConf19/r-packaging-bof.webm
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-r/2018/07/msg00005.html