Re: Improve autodep8 for R packages

Hi Dylan,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 09:51:04PM +0100, Dylan Aïssi wrote:
> Many R packages have similar debian/tests/* files. I am wondering
> whether we should improve autodep8 for R packages (i.e. the
> "Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-r" field) to include these tests. The aim
> is to remove these useless duplicates files (or at least to remove
> duplicate parts).
>
> Currently, autopkgtest-pkg-r only try to load the package in R [1], so
> we can progressively add commons testsuites (i.e. testthat, runit,
> etc).

Sounds pretty neat.

> If we decide to go into this direction, we will be able to override
> this autopkgtest-pkg-r testsuite for specific packages which emit
> errors with the standard testsuite.

I'm afraid I do not understand this part.  How would overriding a test
work?

> Another question, for more flexibility should we move these tests from
> [1] to a specific package like the perl team did with the package
> pkg-perl-autopkgtest [2-3].
>
> Because code is better than description, I wrote some untested parts
> here [4-5] which need to be improve before to use.
>
> What is your opinions?

Sounds convincing.  The fact, that dh-make-R can create tests of
different type is a pretty good sign that this can be automated.

The only drawback I see is that this would possibly kill my habit
to expose the test also to the user as a script

    /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/run-unit-test

I personally consider it a good idea to let users easily run the
autopkgtest code on their local machine:

  1. Just another test under different conditions (may be the
     most important one if a user can be sure that the software
     runs on the own machine)
  2. The test can sometimes serve as a usage example of the software

Do you see some way to keep this feature?