Re: dh-r and pkg-r-autopkgtest

Hi Andreas,

> Hi Dylan,
>
> thanks for your additional contribution to pkg-r-autopkgtest which looks
> very good.  I added an according changelog entry since I uploaded dh-r
> to be able to fix #901356 (which is actually a dh-r problem that should
> be fixed now).

This test is not activated yet, there is a "exit 0" just before :-).
I wanted some review before to activate it. As, you just gave me your
review maybe we can now activate this test.

> Question to your testthat workflow:  Does this implicitly mean that we
> could stop adding manual debian/tests if the package is using testthat?
> The only reason to keep this is that the run-unit-test is installed to
> /usr/share/doc/pkgname/run-unit-test and since test-Depends are now in
> Recommends users systems should be properly prepared to run those tests.

My plan was to activate it to see if it works well before to widely
use it. If we activate it right now, not too many packages should be
impacted, only those with "Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-r" field,
without a "debian/tests/control" file and of course with a testthat
workflow. I didn't check how many packages fill these conditions, but
probably only few of them. So, we could check them to see how is the
"new" pkg-r-autopkgtest.
Then, we can remove manual debian/tests and redirect users, whom want
to test packages, to a script similar to the current pkg-r-autopkgtest
but modified to be more user-friendly (not yet written). In this case,
we still have to install upstream test scripts in
/usr/share/doc/pkgname/.

> How do you deal with test-Depends?  I have not seen any means to add
> test-Depends.  As far as I see we need to add those as Build-Depends to
> make the new test work, right?

Currently, I don't deal with test-Depends but I agree it's a problem.
I used r-cran-plyr to test my change and it failed due to these
missing test-Depends.
If I understand correctly what you did, test-Depends are now injected
into Recommends? If it's correct, we just have to add
"needs-recommends" into the Restrictions field of this file [1] and
rebuild (?) packages with a newer dh-r.

Best,
Dylan

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/autodep8/blob/master/support/r/generate