Re: More - vs . woes

Le Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 02:56:39PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> From my perspective a friendly e-mail to upstream can not harm and in
> the last week I had two out of two positive examples.  So why not
> trying (which I did).

Hi Andreas and everybody,

so if I understand well, when a R upstream author choses to release his
package with a given version string (given by the Version field in the
pachage's DESCRIPTION file; let's call it the "canonical" version
string), authors of other packages depending on it may use any
semantically equivalent string in their Depends, Imports and Suggests
fields, and this is confusing dh-r, which can not guess what is the the
right package in the Debian archive.  We have seen examples where dashes
and dots are exchanged, but in theory, addition of zeros is also
possible.

As I have not yet read a good reason for using that feature, I think
that it is definitely worth asking upstream authors whether they would
consider using only "canonical" version strings in their DESCRIPTION
files.  Thanks for the emails you sent.  (Perhaps a little bit more
background about Debian in the email might be useful.)

If it is not just isolated typos, or if the problem is causing us
troubles regularly, one possible solution would be "normalise" all R
version numbers in Debian packages, for instance by always replacing
dashes.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy