Re: R-base-3.5 transition: Team maintained arch:all packages in level 1 done

Hi Dirk,

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 05:09:18PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> I am not sure if you're aware but Michael Rutter builds a few thousand CRAN
> packages.  These feed important infrastructure such as Travis builds off
> GitHub -- where many actual CRAN packages get developed.  His is a follow-up
> project 'cran2deb' (here done in a particular Ubuntu setup, hence
> 'cran2deb4ubuntu' or c2d4u) building on things some of us had done in the
> last few years.
>
> See the recently restarted blog at http://rubuntu.netlify.com/

Thanks for the hint.  I think it is definitely an interesting project to
build full CRAN archive.  However, as far as I can see, its goal is a
bit different from what we are doing here.  My motivation to package R
packages is to provide a specific set of R packages (basically at user
request) which are used directly by users in the field of endevour I
care about and all packages which are needed by non-R packages as
dependencies.  The complete set of CRAN/BioC is by far larger than this
set.

The team maintained Debian packages all needed upgrades about Vcs fields
and I care about lintian cleanliness, which means:

  * correct Vcs fields
  * latest Standards-Version
  * secure URI in watch file
  * recent debhelper

and for sure properly set versioned Depends (if needed).  All this will
be done by the script as well as a consistent layout of d/control in
terms of the sequence of the fields as well as the spacing.  I consider
this layout as helpful for manual inspection since you find everything
at a place where it is expected.  I guess all these items are totally
irrelevant for the effort you described above.

Thanks for the hint anyway