Re: Your upload of r-cran-xts

On 15 March 2018 at 14:53, Andreas Tille wrote:
| Can you please give a technical reason for the versioned Build-Depends?

a) R does not like it if you don't do it.

   If you build under R a.b.d with d > c and then run with R a.b.c (where,
   again, c < d) you get a silly warning.  I don't want those, the constraint
   helps enforce it.

b) It doesn't really matter.

   I do put current R into unstable (ie today, with the release of R 3.4.4.

c) It doesn't matter for your backports either.

   The substitution via sed or perl is trivial.  Keeping track of
   Build-Depends is harder.

Besides, I do it for my packages, as I happen to like it that way.

I don't run around admonishing to do, or not do it so it really should not be
of any concern to you.

I have yet to meet a _single user_ who was affected one way or the other.
The person complaining is ... you, and last I checked you didn't claim you
were that deeply into R.  So can we move on?

Thanks, Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org