Re: Improve autodep8 for R packages

Hi Andreas,

>> If we decide to go into this direction, we will be able to override
>> this autopkgtest-pkg-r testsuite for specific packages which emit
>> errors with the standard testsuite.
>
> I'm afraid I do not understand this part.  How would overriding a test
> work?

I thought in case of packages which need some dependencies from the
Suggests field to run these tests (e.g. testthat [1]).
In contrary to the Recommends field that can be installed using
"Restrictions: needs-recommends" in d/control, there is (currently?)
no way to install the Suggests field for autopkgtest (no
"Restrictions: needs-suggests" but I may be wrong here).
So, in this case, we just have to write a specific d/control for a
problematic package with manually written dependencies and no need to
write a new runner ou run-unit-test script.

> I personally consider it a good idea to let users easily run the
> autopkgtest code on their local machine:
>
>   1. Just another test under different conditions (may be the
>      most important one if a user can be sure that the software
>      runs on the own machine)
>   2. The test can sometimes serve as a usage example of the software
>
> Do you see some way to keep this feature?

Maybe a /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/README.test file which inform user to
use the script in the pkg-r-autopkgtest package ?
This pkg-r-autopkgtest package could be a dependency of r-base (or
whatever) to be sure to be installed on all systems.
We can also create a symlink for /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/runner to the
script from the pkg-r-autopkgtest package.

Best,
Dylan

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-cran-testthat/commit/c5c0417543