Re: Who need to install qt-translation packages?

Hi!

El domingo, 17 de septiembre de 2023 04:01:24 -03 c.buhtz@posteo.jp escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I'm upstream maintainer of "backintime" but also interested in Debian
> specific packaging.
>
> A question came up about dependencies in the context of the Qt
> translations.
>
> If Qt is installed does it recognize the current systems locale and
> install the translations for it?

Yes and no. Translations _for_ Qt are shipped in either qttranslations5-l10n or qt6-translations-l10n.

Note this only ships translations for the strings that come in Qt Widgets by default, they will not cover your own application's translations. These you need to handle yourself.

> When having a package (e.g. "backintime-qt") using Qt translations
> (only for standard GUI elements like buttons) should this package
> depend on a qt-translation package? "backintime-qt" does directly
> depend on "python3-pyqt5".

More than a dependency they should be a Recommends. The reason is that some users might benefit from not installing translations, and Recommends are also installed by default on Debian systems.

For your application you normally ship translations in the same binary package (same ".deb") unless you have a good reason not to do so, like them taking lots of space.

> https://packages.debian.org/unstable/backintime-qt
>
> Thanks for advice.
> Christian Buhtz

Hope that helps, Lisandro.