Problems building sddm package

I'm running into problems building the sddm package. When I download the source package, switch into the package dir, and run debuild, then it works fine. But if I make a two-line change to a single .cpp file via quilt edit and then build again, I get a lot of error messages like:

dpkg-source: error: cannot represent change to data/themes/debian-elarun/images/user_icon.png: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: error: add data/themes/debian-elarun/images/user_icon.png in debian/source/include-binaries if you want to store the modified binary in the debian tarball

This seems completely un-related to the change I made (see below). It seems the file debian/source/include-binaries is not present, and even if I create and populate it as suggested by the error messages, I then run into new binary difference errors.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this source package not in a buildable state?

The steps I followed were:

  • sudo su
  • apt-get install --no-install-recommends devscripts fakeroot
  • mkdir /usr/local/src/sddm
  • cd /usr/local/src/sddm
  • apt-get build-dep sddm
  • apt-get source sddm
  • cd sddm-0.19.0/
  • export EDITOR="vim"
  • echo "QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches" > ~/.quiltrc
  • quilt new remove-Xsession-timeout
  • quilt edit src/daemon/XorgDisplayServer.cpp
  • quilt refresh
  • dch -i
  • debuild -us -uc

Many thanks,