Re: Mapbox GL plugin in QtLocation package

Hi,

El vie., 31 may. 2019 16:19, rinigus <rinigus.git@gmail.com> escribió:
Hi Dmitry and Lisandro:

MapboxGL included into QtLocation is a special branch of that library: https://github.com/mapbox/mapbox-gl-native/tree/qt-staging . Let's keep that in mind during the discussion related to QtLocation, but we can extend it to the master branch as well, if needed.

So a special branch. Why that? For me it's just one more reason to keep stuff like it is, or ask someone to package mapbox.

In my understanding, special branch was made to incorporate it into Qt, see https://github.com/qt/qtlocation/blob/5.12/.gitmodules

The corresponding branch should comply with all common Qt requirements, including the license.

[...]

Considering the size of mapbox I strongly think it should be packaged separately, with a dedicated maintainer.

In this respect, it looks like arguments against packaging Mapbox GL module of QtLocation are not linked anymore to the license nor inclusion of third-party code. Instead, it is mainly related to the size of it, right?

When using Qt, I would expect that all its parts (or open-source parts) are available on the platforms that package it. So, when I want to run a code that is calling Mapbox GL plugin, it should be possible if QtLocation >= 5.9 is packaged. Took some time to dig out why its not there on Debian-based distros and it seems now that the reason which holds is just a size, not license. I don't think it is a valid point to drop a part of it just due to the size. In this respect, it looks like a bug in packaging.

As for finding dedicated maintainer - I don't think its necessary, as it is not necessary to find dedicated maintainer to https://github.com/qt/qtlocation/tree/5.12/src/plugins/geoservices/esri plugin, for example. QtLocation is released after corresponding tests and should have testing done as a whole as well. It looks to me that splitting a package that was developed as a unit and then finding a way to glue it back together (splitting qmapboxgl out of qtlocation and gluing it then back) is making extra work for not much gain. But I am not in packaging business - in writing software business instead - and can provide my 2c only from outside.

Note that situation with Pure Maps is somewhat different and I may converge to using QtLocation plugin system later as well to avoid keeping my QML bindings up-to-date. But I think covering full functionality of QtLocation is an expectation of the users from distribution.

Rinigus