Re: Re: kde wallet services

> On Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2016 00:28:37 CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 14. Juni 2016 22:18:01 CEST Tom Zander wrote:
> […]
>
> > > I was wondering if there is any ideas on how to solve the utter
> > > brokenness
> > > of the wallet services on Debian Stretch right now.
> > >
> > > Before freeze (the way it looks now) I'd suggest removing the kde5
> > > walletmanager and shipping the kde4 one by default and compiling kde5
> > > without the wallet subsystem.
> >
> > Stretch will have KF 5/Plasma 5 based Kontact + Dolphin.

When I talked about konqueror I meant kio and while I did notice the post
about khtml, its about a broader issue of many kio handlers like sftp sites,
webdav  and indeed khtml.
Sorry for not being clearer before.

> There are two other possible approaches to this, which can make sense
> depending on how many Qt4 based applications using KWallet could not be
> replaced in time for Stretch:
>
> 1) Installing kwalletmanager for KDE 4 along side. Fedora did it this way.
> It has the disadvantage tough having two versions of wallets with diverging
> content.

I agree thats a not so great solution, but I hope you agree that its better to
have two wallet manager UIs available if we end up with two wallet systems.

Or, in other words, if the unfortunate event happens that there are apps in
the main debian repos linking against the wallet libraries from kdelibs4, I
would like to suggest that packaging the old walletmanager would be
non-optional.

> > > Just in case this is not a known issue;
> > > if you run kde4 based apps, like konqueror or kontact, they use a wallet
> > > that is not supported and not visible in the kde5 based kcm.
> >
> > Dolphin in unstable is KF 5 / Qt 5 based already. KDEPIM + Akonadi in
> > experimental, soon in unstable I bet, too.

I only use konq once a year or so. Specifically for its embedding. For example
if you have a large dir with (text) files and you want to click on each file
and show the contents in a split view on the right side without any windows
opening or closing.
I agree its too unique a usecase to put sufficient time into packaging kde4
libs and all that stuff, but I just wanted to make sure you realize that
konqueror as a webbrowser is not really its sole usecase. It is the hacker-
friendly version of dolphin, in my opinion :)

In the meantime I wonder if you managed to store a single password in your
kde5 based wallet yet. For instance your wifi password. I have so far not
succeeded. Just creating a new wallet doesn't even work from the kcm.
Not sure if thats a packaging issue, a local issue, or an upstream issue.

Thanks!
--
Tom Zander