Re: Qt4/5 library name extensions

Hi Lisandro

Thanks for the answer
> Hi Gudjon! I barely missed the mail.
>
> The naming scheme comes from upstream. But it is indeed based on
> recommendations, as you need to keep a proper soname.
>
> I quickly glanced over Rex Dieter's mails, and the suggestions seems sane
> enough.
>
> Qt5Qwt is not bad, but may be like stepping over Qt's upstream's toes.
>
> Kinds regards, Lisandro.

The problem with Qwt is that there is no extension for the Qt versions.
I and Fathi added -qt3.so, -qt4.so to the Qwt5 library names 8 years ago and
this created problems when people were trying to build software depending on
Qwt to have this Debian specific extension.
Then Qwt6 came and Fathi dropped the -qt4 extension and now one is needed for
Qt5.

Having official guidelines on how to coinstall libraries for different Qt
versions is preferable to avoid having to patch programs depending on Qwt,
Qwtplot3d and other similar libraries.

AFAIK no one is stepping on anyones toes. Uwes proposal was to follow
OpenSuSe, or libQt5Qwt.so.6. But there seem to be different patches for the
OpenSuSe system making the library names as
libQt5Qwt.so.6 or libqwt-qt5.so.6 which proves the point that guidelines would
be preferable.

Regards
Gudjon

Ps. I seem to have made the Qwt thread unreadable with my gmail. Promise to
learn how to use it before posting again :)