Re: GMP change may affect kcalc

On Tuesday 02 July 2013 21:46:09 Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This message is addressed to all maintainers of a package that
> build-depends on gmp.
>
> Yesterday's upload (gmp version 5.1.2+dfsg-2) changed the location of
> gmp.h from /usr/include to /usr/include/$(multi-arch-triplet).  This
> was done to fix bug #675577.  This change *should* be invisible, since
> the compiler searches by default /usr/include/$(multi-arch-triplet).
> I tested a few packages and found they built fine.  However, I've been
> informed of one package that does fail to build with this change.
> Since there may be other such packages, I thought I'd send out this
> note to alert everyone.

Thanks Steve for the notice. As stated in [0], next time please follow a
different scheme for handling this. My suggestion would be:

- Package the new version and upload it to experimental.
- Mail the reverse dependencies maintainers giving them at least a month to
test.
- Do the transition.

This holds for most cases, maybe except a security one.

[0] <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=675577#36>

> Secondly: I removed the libtool .la files.  They had been 'emptied'
> since 2011, so hopefully this causes no issue.

Cool, thanks :-)

--
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who it decides to make friends with.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/