Re: KDE4 testing on Alpha

Alle domenica 11 dicembre 2011, Bob Tracy ha scritto:
> Thank you for your reply.  Disabling nepomuk did not seem to have any
> effect.  In fact, with the 3.2-rc5 kernel, the lock-up happened even
> more quickly.  When starting KDE4, there's the splash screen and five
> icons that fade-in from left to right.  At the point where the big
> "K" icon finishes fading-in, that's where the system locked up this
> time.
>
> It has done so at this precise point in the past, which is why I
> suspect issues with KMS/drm.  For what it's worth, Gnome-3 (which
> requires KMS) isn't working either: I can't test Gnome-3 components
> using FreeNX because there's no KMS for that type of display, so I
> get "fallback mode" (Gnome-2) by default.
>
> I'll go ahead and reenable nepomuk, and then try another KDE4 FreeNX
> session.  Would it be correct to assume nepomuk/virtuoso isn't the
> issue if I see those processes running for the FreeNX desktop
> session?

Hm I see.
My next hint would be try to disable the compositing of kwin (the window
manager), maybe it somehow detects it is available and crashes when
being used or crashes even when trying to detect it;
$ kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled \
  --type bool false

--
Pino Toscano