Re: KDE4 testing on Alpha

On 12/12/11 02:58, Bob Tracy wrote:
On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 08:03:46PM +0100, Pino Toscano wrote:
If it's the virtuoso process to create issue, you can try disabling the
semantic desktop (which uses the virtuoso DB): either you uninstall the
virtuoso packages, or disable nepomuk for your user in a console with:
$ kwriteconfig --file nepomukserverrc --group "Basic Settings" \
   --key "Start Nepomuk" --type bool false
(you can also do that in the "semantic desktop" section of
`systemsettings`)

If that does not avoid the hard lockup, I don't have more ideas at the
moment...

Thank you for your reply.  Disabling nepomuk did not seem to have any
effect.  In fact, with the 3.2-rc5 kernel, the lock-up happened even
more quickly.

Bob, I've just recompiled iceweasel and icedove with gcc-4.6 and full optimisation (other than --no-relax in the linker) and the crashes in those two packages have disappeared. I am sending this message with icedove from my Alpha --- the first time I have been able to do this since before the release of Lenny! I suspect that optimisation bugs in gcc-4.4 have been fixed in gcc-4.5 and gcc-4.6 but not back-ported to gcc-4.4, and on Alpha we are unfortunately still defaulting to gcc-4.4. I wonder if the crashes in KDE are due to bugs in gcc-4.4.

It would be interesting to compile all of KDE with gcc-4.6 to see if it fixes the crashes. I have put through a request to default us to gcc-4.6 (bug 649922). When a new gcc-defaults package comes through that upgrades Alpha to gcc-4.6 I suggest that we put through binNMUs on the KDE packages (a list of likely candidate packages for the crash would be helpful). I am about to go on holiday for four weeks and won't be able to the binNMUs during that time so you might have to talk to Bill to get them done.

Cheers
Michael.