Re: A Debian sprint for package management GUIs?

Hi!
I would also be interested in this meeting, especially in the
PackageKit side. I believe PK is the right way to go, but only if the
current APTcc backend gets a few improvements and if we identify the
(Debian-specific) stuff PK is probably missing.
On KDE's side, I hope I can find a sponsor for Apper soon, so this
software management UI is available on Debian too. So Debian/KDE can
choose between Apper and Muon there.
On Debian/GNOME I think the most user-friendly alternative is the
Ubuntu Software Center at time, although there are CLA issues. An
alternative would be waiting for GNOME-PackageKit to get
application-installer support, but this will probably take some time,
since Richard Hughes has lots of stuff to do... But the GPK
Update-Viewer is a very nice application with great GNOME integration,
so maybe it makes sense to use parts of GPK.
In any case we need to think about AppStream and probably communicate
things with other distributors (what is the current state of
AppStream?) - although focusing on Debian is definitely required.
If this meeting takes place in Cologne, I'll definitely come if I
don't have tests in that week. (I'm only ~30min away from Cologne)
It's great that this thing is discussed!
Cheers,
   Matthias